How to obtain EPA and DHA?
Omega-3 fatty acid is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, mainly EPA and DHA. However, human body cannot synthesize these fatty acids and therefore they can only be obtained from diet. Eating fish may not be a good option because they may be contaminated by environmental pollutants such as mercury, PCB (polychlorinated biphenyls). As an alternative, we can take fish oil softgel capsules to avoid polluted chemical substances and ensure sufficient intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3 Fish Oil from wild ocean fish that live in the cold, clean and unpolluted water of the Pacific coast of Alaska is rich in EPA and DHA. It can help nourish the skin, lubricate the joints, and also keep your heart, blood vessels, eyes, brain and peripheral nervous system healthy.[1-2]
Promote cardiovascular health
Studies show that omega-3 fatty acids can assist in maintaining cardiovascular health. It may also prevent lipid accumulation or adhesion. Omega-3 fatty acids may enhance the protein metabolism and optimize the process of platelet aggregation which may promote cardiovascular health.
Promote joint health
Resolvins are compounds that are made by the human body from EPA and DHA. Resolvin D2 enhances the production of nitric oxide which prevents white blood cells from being attached to the joints. Hence, it helps in relieving joints discomforts.
Maintain normal brain function
Omega-3, especially DHA, is one of the important elements in neurotransmission in the brain. Diminishing omega-3 fatty acids level as we age may contribute to memory loss. Adequate omega-3 fatty acids intake could help maintain and improve memory and other brain functions.
Promote brain development in infancy and childhood
Omega-3 is crucial to the optimal development of the brain, nerve cells and retina in infancy and childhood. Studies have shown that regular intake of omega-3 could help improve vision, memory, speech and cognitive capability.
Enhance skin protection
Polyunsaturated fatty acids from fish oil help replenishing fats lost (from high wind or sunlight) in the skin causing skin dryness or excessive flaking. It can nourish the skin, improve skin elasticity and reduce wrinkles.
Maintain healthy digestive system
Omega-3 is an essential fatty acid that can activate cell functions, support healthy cells and increase resistance. It helps to maintain a healthy digestive system.
Anti-aging effects and reduction of age-related health problems by omega-3 may be directly linked to cell growth and slow down cell death. Therefore, Omega-3 fatty acids may promote healthier cells and against aging problems.[1,9]
Omega-3 Fish Oil may provide the following benefits:
- Maintain health of the heart
- Promote vascular elasticity and blood circulation
- Maintain cerebrovascular health
- Improve memory and cognitive capability[5-6]
- Help reduce joint damage and swelling[3-4]
- Promote health of nervous system and improve vision[3-4]
- Support infants and toddlers memory, learning capability and cognitive development[5-6]
- Improve health of digestive system
- Anti-aging effects[1, 9]
- Nourish skin and hair
Adult: Take 1 softgel capsule twice daily or as directed by physicians.
Children: Take 1 softgel capsule once daily or as directed by physicians.
- Fats and fatty acids in human nutrition. Report of an expert consultation. Geneva. 10 – 14 November 2008. FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). Food Nutr Pap. 2010;91:1-166.
- Querques G, Forte R and Souied EH. Retina and Omega-3. J Nutr Metab. 2011 Oct 31, doi: 10.1155/2011/748361.
- Spite M, Norling LV, Serhan CN et al. Resolvin D2 is a potent regulator of leukocytes and controls microbial sepsis. 2009;461(7268):1287-91.
- Das UN. Can vagus nerve stimulation halt or ameliorate rheumatoid arthritis and lupus? Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Jan 24, doi: 10.1186/1476-511X-10-19.
- Sinn N, Milte C and Howe PR. Oiling the Brain: A Review of Randomized Controlled Trials of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Psychopathology across the Lifespan. Nutrients 2010;2:128-70.
- Mijna Hadders-Algra. Effect of Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Supplementation on Neurodevelopmental Outcome in Full-Term Infants. Nutrients. 2010;2(8):790-804.
- Boelsma E, Hendriks HF, Roza L. Nutritional skin care: health effects of micronutrients and fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;73(5):853-64.
- Cencic A and Chingwaru W. The Role of Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals, and Food Supplements in Intestinal Health. Nutrients. 2010;2(6):611-25.
- Maroon JC, Bost Jw, Maroon A. Natural anti-inflammatory agents for pain relief. Surg Neurol Int. 2010 Dec 13, doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.73804.
Disclaimer: This product is not registered under the Pharmacy and Poisons Ordinance or the Chinese Medicine Ordinance. Any claim made for it has not been subject to evaluation for such registration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease.