Grape seed extract contains strong antioxidants
The grape has been described as “Good for muscle, bone, and longevity” since hundreds of years ago. Grape seed extract is rich in Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins (OPC) which are a set of polyphenols and flavonoids. The antioxidant property of OPC is 20 times more potent than vitamin C and 50 times more potent than vitamin E and could help protect cells from free radical damages.
Resveratrol is another polyphenolic compound found in grape seed. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties play a significant role in relieving symptoms caused by vascular insufficiency or inflammation. Together, the fine constituents in grape seed extract could promote skin and eye nourishment and help protect the body from premature aging, disease, and decay.
Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins (OPC)
Exposure of the skin to solar ultraviolet radiation (UVR) results in inflammation, oxidative stress, DNA damage, dysregulation of cellular signaling pathways. It would also activate melanogenesis. These result in darkening and aging of the skin. Grape seed extract can provide photo-protection for the skin against UVR. Research has shown that OPC can improve skin cell viability, scavenge reactive oxidative species, adjust cell cycle, enhance DNA self-repair and inhibit dark pigment-producing enzymes. Therefore, taking grape seed extract could help reduce dark spots, whiten and rejuvenate the skin.
Collagen is an essential molecule to provide tissues and organs with tensile strength, form and cohesiveness. OPC can increase crosslinking between collagen fibrils and stabilize the complex. In addition to improving skin elasticity, enhancing collagen crosslinking may help restore dental strength.
Epidemiological evidence links high antioxidant status with lower risk of degenerative disease in humans. It has been found that reactive oxygen and nitrogen species are involved in the development of cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, atherosclerosis, diabetes, cardiac hypertrophy, heart failure, and stroke. The strong antioxidizing property of OPC could help prevent lipid peroxidation of LDL. Together with its anticoagulating ability, OPC could help reduce the risk of artery blockage.
Oxidative stress induced by hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) can irreversibly damage the lens epithelium in our eyes, resulting in cell death and cataract. Both OPC and resveratrol can attenuate H2O2-induced oxidative stress and thus protect our eyes from oxidative damage.[8-9] OPC can also strengthen blood capillaries, improve blood circulation and hence promote nutrient supply to our eyes.
Liver is responsible for detoxification and removal of harmful substances from our blood and exhaust from air we breathe in, e.g. alcohol, drugs, toxins. High cholesterol level in the body would increase the risk of liver diseases such as fatty liver disease and liver stones. Cholesterol is mainly eliminated from the body via conversion of cholesterol to bile acids while grape seed extract has been proven to increase bile acid excretion. OPC could help reduce toxin production and enhance detoxification pathways in the body.
Oral diseases, including dental caries, periodontal disease, and tooth loss, affect the majority of the population and can affect a person’s overall health. Plaque is frequently formed on teeth and gum surfaces. Plaque bacteria utilize the readily fermentable carbohydrates on tooth surfaces to produce acids, leading to enamel demineralization and tooth decay. Grape seed extract has been shown to increase mineral precipitation on root caries lesions and help stabilize collagen matrix of root dentin.
Grape seed polyphenols may help reduce allergic responses by inhibiting enzymes involve in the release of histamine, a chemical responsible for inducing allergic reaction and inflammation. It may help prevent hypersensitivity to pollens and food allergens.
Prolonged standing or sitting, as well as wearing close-fitting garments or tight footwear are common among people in developed countries. Restriction of body movement results in insufficient blood and lymph flow, leg swelling and even varicose veins. OPC can assist blood circulation, relieving discomfort of varicose veins and leg swelling.
Possible uses of Grape Seed Extract[13-15]:
- Skin Whitening Effect
- Strengthen Collagen Complexion(anti-aging)
- Nourish Your Eyes
- Relieve Liver Burden
- Maintain Oral Health
- Relieve Allergies
- Improve Varicose Veins
Recommended daily dose:
Adult: Take 1-2 capsules daily.
If you are taking medication which may affect the ability of blood to clot, consult your doctor before taking this product.
- Nakata R, Takahashi S, Inoue H. Recent Advances in the Study on Resveratrol. Biol Pharm Bull. 2012;35(3):273-9.
- Shi J, Yu J, Pohorly JE, Kakuda Y. Polyphenolics in grape seeds-biochemistry and functionality. J Med Food. 2003;6(4):291-9.
- Afaq F, Katiyar SK. Polyphenols: skin photoprotection and inhibition of photocarcinogenesis. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2011;11(14):1200-15.
- Zi SX, Ma HJ, Li Y, Liu W, Yang QQ et al. Oligomeric proanthocyanidins from grape seeds effectively inhibit ultraviolet-induced melanogenesis of human melanocytes in vitro. Int J Mol Med. 2009;23(2):197-204.
- Bedran-Russo AK, Pereira PN, Duarte WR, Drummond JL, Yamauchi M. Application of crosslinkers to dentin collagen enhances the ultimate tensile strength. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2007;80(1):268-72.
- Bagchi D, Bagchi M, Stohs SJ, Das DK, Ray SD et al. Free radicals and grape seed proanthocyanidin extract: importance in human health and disease prevention. Toxicology. 2000;148(2-3):187-97.
- Bijak M, Kolodziejczyk-Czepas J, Ponczek MB, Saluk J, Nowak P. Protective effects of grape seed extract against oxidative and nitrative damage of plasma proteins. Int J Biol Macromol. 2012;51(3):183-7.
- Jia Z, Song Z, Zhao Y, Wang X, Liu P. Grape seed proanthocyanidin extract protects human lens epithelial cells from oxidative stress via reducing NF-кB and MAPK protein expression. Mol Vis. 2011;17:210-7.
- Zheng Y, Liu Y, Ge J, Wang X, Liu L et al. Resveratrol protects human lens epithelial cells against H2O2-induced oxidative stress by increasing catalase, SOD-1, and HO-1 expression. Mol Vis. 2010;16:1467-74.
- Jiao R, Zhang Z, Yu H, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Hypocholesterolemic activity of grape seed proanthocyanidin is mediated by enhancement of bile acid excretion and up-regulation of CYP7A1. J Nutr Biochem. 2010;21(11):1134-9.
- Wu CD. Grape products and oral health. J Nutr. 2009;139(9):1818S-23S.
- Sano A, Tokutake S, Seo A. Proanthocyanidin-rich grape seed extract reduces leg swelling in healthy women during prolonged sitting. J Sci Food Agric. 2012 Jul 2, doi: 10.1002/jsfa.5773.
- Martindale: the complete drug reference. London, UK, Pharmaceutical Press.
- Dietary Supplements: the complete drug reference. London, UK, Pharmaceutical Press.
- Natural Standard. Grape Professional M Natural Standard.
Disclaimer: This product is not registered under the Pharmacy and Poisons Ordinance or the Chinese Medicine Ordinance. Any claim made for it has not been subject to evaluation for such registration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease.